If anyone has any news that they think is relevant or interesting to Chandos members please let us know.
Update to future events
We hope that everyone who reads this page is still safe and well. We have been keeping a close eye on how the corona virus situation has been developing and, unfortunately, the current serious national situation has made it impossible for us to consider being able to put on our March concert. We are most disappointed to have to postpone yet another concert but we feel there really is no choice.
However, the commencement of the vaccination programme means we are very optimistic about being able to put on our usual September and November concerts and details of the dates and programmes to be played will be posted here shortly.
November 2020 Concert
Chandos is trying very hard to keep up with the ever-changing situation regarding live performance and we are all pleased to see some more positive changes coming through in recent days. However, it remains very uncertain as to when anything like a ‘normal’ situation for Chandos will be possible. It is therefore with a significant degree of sadness that we have to announce that our November concert as advertised has been postponed until November 2021 when we hope that we will all be able to perform as normal to an audience that will not need to be socially distanced.
At present it is not certain that Malvern Theatres will have opened for performances again by this November but if it has, and if the orchestra is allowed to play together in sufficient numbers to put on a public performance, we are intending to do our very best to put on a concert on November 15th. This will likely be quite different from our normal repertoire but playing live music has always been our ‘reason for being’ and we are keen to get back to doing what we love as soon as we can.
September Concert Update
September Concert Update: very sadly the decision has had to be taken to cancel our September concert. The situation we all find ourselves in makes the future very difficult indeed to predict, but the committee felt it very unlikely that it would be allowed to go ahead and it seemed most sensible to make the decision early so people know how things stand. However, the concert programme we had planned was too good to give up on completely and, as we are most fortunate that Richard Laing is available to conduct it next year, we have decided to re-scheduled it for 12th September 2021. A date for your diaries now!
No decision has been made regarding the November concert at this stage but it seems increasingly likely that any large gatherings will not be allowed until a vaccine has been found for Covid-19. Let us all keep our fingers crossed that the scientists can come up with something that will allow things to return to something like normal by then!
June workshop update
The June 14th workshop is postponed — possible new date is one of the Saturdays in January but it hasn’t been fixed. Please be patient! Not sure what to say about Coronavirus other than we were very lucky indeed to get the last concert done. Nothing can be decided about September yet but we are praying this situation is long resolved by then.
Welcome to the New Season!
We hope that you will enjoy taking part in all of the concerts that are scheduled this year and also the two workshops. Plus, there may be an extra musical ‘adventure’ at the end of this year, but more about that at a later date.
The March concert is conducted, as usual, by Michael Lloyd and we are delighted to welcome back the wonderful singer Alison Roddy as our soloist for this concert. This concert was originally scheduled for March 2019 but, due to the cancellation of the March 2018 concert thanks to the infamous Beast of the East II, it was moved to 2020 and, luckily, Alison was available and happy to postpone to this year.